Call Us: 419-394-1294 or Toll Free: 800-860-GRAND
Play More, Stress Less!

Museums

armstrong-1

The Armstrong Air and Space Museum

bike-museum

Bicycle Museum of America

early-household-items-2071

Auglaize County Historical Society Wapakoneta Museum

ftrecovery

Fort Recovery State Museum

Rock-collection-1

Langsdon Mineral Collection

new-bremen-lock

New Bremen Historical Museum

An appreciation of the local heritage can be seen in the many area history museums. Unless otherwise stated, the hours open are limited, but all can be viewed by appointment. Group tours are also available. Call for more information.

The Armstrong Air and Space Museum
500 Apollo Dr.
Wapakoneta, OH 45895

Phone: 419-738-8811
Toll Free: 800-860-0142
Named in honor of astronaut Neil Armstrong, a Wapakoneta native, the museum chronicles Ohioans’ contributions to the history of flight. Exhibits include the Gemini VIII spacecraft, the airplane Neil Armstrong flew as a student, spacesuits, and a moon rock. The massive dome houses the Astro Theater, which features regular half-hour films. Visitors will also have the opportunity to test themselves on three space simulators.
Auglaize County Historical Society
Daniel Mooney Museum, The

223 S Main St.
St. Marys, OH 45885
Hours: Fri.-Sun 1-4pm
Phone: 419-394-7069
Built in 1876 as the home of Major Charles Hipp, a former Civil War officer, this newly remodeled historical museum once belonged to Daniel Mooney, a former ambassador to Paraguay. Early Auglaize history is represented here with many artifacts and photos.
Auglaize County Historical Society
Wapakoneta Museum

206 W Main St.
Wapakoneta, OH 45895
Hours: Sun.-Tues. 1-4pm
Phone: 419-738-9238
Wapakoneta Local History Museum ~ Is housed in the original First Presbyterian Church built in 1861-1862, the oldest Protestant church in Auglaize County. The structure is achitecturally as well as historically significant, and is today home to many historical items collected from Wapakoneta and Auglaize County.
Bicycle Museum of America
7 W Monroe St.
New Bremen, OH 45869

Phone: 419-629-2220 ext.3808
The Bicycle Museum of America has been in New Bremen, Ohio since 1997. The museum displays over 300 bicycles, the core of which were the Schwinn family collection formerly displayed at the Navy Pier in Chicago. With its total collection numbering over 600 bicycles, the Bicycle Museum of America is the largest private collection in the world open to the public. Have your picture taken atop a big wheel bicycle, a fun stop for young and old alike.
Buckland Historical Museum
Buckland Community Center
306 N Main
Buckland, OH 45819

Phone: 419-657-6569
Cridersville Historical Museum
111 W Sugar St.
Cridersville, OH 45806

Phone: 419-645-5374
The 1890 church depicts the history of the town and the surrounding area. The log home was built in 1836 by Daniel Bousher, one of the earliest pioneer families in the Cridersville area. It is furnished to represent the pioneer lifestyle of the 1830s and 1840s.
Fort Recovery State Museum
1 Fortsite St.
Fort Recovery, OH 45846

Phone: 419-375-4649
Fort Recovery is the site of two of the most dramatic Indian battles in American history. Museum features Wayne soldiers, a lifelike warrior, battle descriptions and one of the largest Indian artifact collections on display in Ohio. On the grounds are two reconstructed blockhouses, a connecting stockade and the Greenville Treaty Line marker. A 103’ monument stands to remember the 900+ soldiers that died here and an oak tree to remember the Native Americans. Other attractions are a log home, blacksmith shop, historical walkway, local walk-by museum and a state park.
Langsdon Mineral Collection
The Mercer County District Library
303 N Main St.
Celina, OH 45822

Phone: 419-586-4442
Rock hounds take note of this fabulous gem and mineral collection on display to the public. The Mercer County District Library in Celina exhibits the collection consisting of 661 samples from all over the world. The specimens are housed in 12 custom built cabinets located in the center of the library. The collection was donated to the library by Ron and Ruth Langsdon on the basis that it be continually displayed to the public. Each sample is labeled with the mineral type and place of origin. Examples of minerals displayed are: apophyllite, stibnite, pyrite, galena, and purple amethyst. Displayed in brightly lit cases, the minerals sparkle and gleam with a life of their own. The library offers classes and group tours by prior arrangement with Professor Ken Strickland who is the curator of the collection. The library is open six days a week with a variation in hours from summer to winter. Call ahead for library hours of service or to request a program or tour.
Lockkeepers House Visitors Center
Lock One Park
Corner of SR-66 & SR-274
New Bremen, OH 45869

Phone: 419-629-0313
Stop by the Lockkeepers House Visitors Center to learn about the history of this waterway. Built as a replica of the Lockkeepers House that stood on the site for nearly 100 years, the Visitors Center is a great place to begin your visit to the canal. The visitors center features displays, photos and other information about the canal, its construction and the impact it had on the development of western Ohio. It is located adjacent to Lock One Park in downtown New Bremen. It is handicap accessible with public restrooms and is open weekdays from 9 - 11 a.m. and 1 - 5 p.m.

Traversing 249 miles from Cincinnati to Toledo, Irish and German immigrants labored from 1825 to 1845 to complete the canal, which improved transportation and commerce for the western portion of the state. Much of the canal in this area is intact with many historic structures, bridges and aqueducts along the way. The towpath along SR-66 from Minster to Lock 14 north of St. Marys is a great place to walk and enjoy nature’s beauty. Designated a state Scenic Byway.
Maria Stein Heritage Museum
2291 St. Johns Rd.
Maria Stein, OH 45860

Phone: 419-925-4532
This museum, housed in a convent building of the early 1900’s, holds treasures from the area’s past, as well as of convent life. Featuring information and artifacts on the settlement of the area as well as the religious orders who served the early settlers, the museum is located in the upper floor of the National Marion Shrine of the Holy Relics.
Mercer County Historical Museum
130 E Market
PO Box 512
Celina, OH 45822

Phone: 419-678-2614
Email: histalig@bright.net
This museum chronicles the past 200 years of Mercer County area life. Also known as the Riley House, the museum contains genealogical materials and many books of local history. Open Houses with Special Exhibits are held throughout the year, e.g. Prehistoric Artifacts; Antique Guns; Post Cards; Sports Hall of Fame, etc.

Over two dozen Western Ohio and Mercer County Local History Books have been printed by the Historical Society. A weekly newspaper column is written by Joyce Alig, President, who has the best Archival Collection of Mercer County History in existence.
Minster Historical Museum
112 W Fourth St.,
Minster, OH 45865

Phone: 419-628-4600
The Minster Historical Society maintains a museum of local artifacts and the members are active in promoting and preserving Minster's heritage.
New Bremen Historical Museum
120 N Main St.
PO Box 73
New Bremen, OH 45869-0073

Phone: 419-629-8902
In the early days of the Miami and Erie Canal in New Bremen, what was later referred to as the “Thompson House” was the lockkeeper’s house and New Bremen’s major overnight lodging establishment. It was the job of the lockkeeper to keep canal boat traffic moving through the lock. The original lockkeeper’s house stood on the west bank of lock one until April 1968 when it was destroyed in a practice session for the New Bremen and other area Fire Departments. The foundation of the house was uncovered during the renovation of Lock One in 2006. The Village of New Bremen, MECCA, Chamber of Commerce and the New Bremen Historic Association combined efforts to reconstruct a Lockkeeper’s House on the same site as the old one.
New Knoxville Historical Museum
107 E German St.
New Knoxville, OH 45871

Phone: 419-753-2721
A lovely 19th century home is the site of the New Knoxville Historical Society's extensive collection of artifacts and photographs. This museum maintains and displays items of historic information and interest pertaining to the lives and accomplishments of the German ancestry of New Knoxville and surrounding rural area.
Shanes Crossing Historical Museum
151 E Columbia St.
Rockford, Oh 45882

Phone: 419-363-2998
The Shanes Crossing Historical Society was formed in 1995 to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the town of Shanesville. Anthony Shane plotted the town on part of his Land Grant, on the north side of the St. Marys River. The town was later called Shanes Crossing and in 1890 the Post Office changed the name to Rockford. In the fall of 2005, the society was able to obtain the former Rockford Lumber Company store and have remodeled it. The town has moved their offices into part of it. The main showroom is now the SCHS museum and over the past few months, the members have collected and placed town historical items on display.
Uniopolis Historical Museum
75 E Ohio St.
Uniopolis, OH 45888

Phone: 419-568-5586
The museum, constructed in 1875 as a United Brethren Church, had been the Town Hall since 1900. The Uniopolis Historical Society is the most recently organized in the county. This is a "museum in the making." It will soon house the growing collection of of the society preserving the history of the area.

An appreciation of the local heritage can be seen in the many area history museums. Unless otherwise stated, the hours open are limited, but all can be viewed by appointment. Group tours are also available. Call for more information.

The Armstrong Air and Space Museum
500 Apollo Dr.
Wapakoneta, OH 45895

Phone: 419-738-8811
Toll Free: 800-860-0142
Named in honor of astronaut Neil Armstrong, a Wapakoneta native, the museum chronicles Ohioans’ contributions to the history of flight. Exhibits include the Gemini VIII spacecraft, the airplane Neil Armstrong flew as a student, spacesuits, and a moon rock. The massive dome houses the Astro Theater, which features regular half-hour films. Visitors will also have the opportunity to test themselves on three space simulators.
Auglaize County Historical Society
Daniel Mooney Museum, The

223 S Main St.
St. Marys, OH 45885
Hours: Fri.-Sun 1-4pm
Phone: 419-394-7069
Built in 1876 as the home of Major Charles Hipp, a former Civil War officer, this newly remodeled historical museum once belonged to Daniel Mooney, a former ambassador to Paraguay. Early Auglaize history is represented here with many artifacts and photos.
Auglaize County Historical Society
Wapakoneta Museum

206 W Main St.
Wapakoneta, OH 45895
Hours: Sun.-Tues. 1-4pm
Phone: 419-738-9238
Wapakoneta Local History Museum ~ Is housed in the original First Presbyterian Church built in 1861-1862, the oldest Protestant church in Auglaize County. The structure is achitecturally as well as historically significant, and is today home to many historical items collected from Wapakoneta and Auglaize County.
Bicycle Museum of America
7 W Monroe St.
New Bremen, OH 45869

Phone: 419-629-2220 ext.3808
The Bicycle Museum of America has been in New Bremen, Ohio since 1997. The museum displays over 300 bicycles, the core of which were the Schwinn family collection formerly displayed at the Navy Pier in Chicago. With its total collection numbering over 600 bicycles, the Bicycle Museum of America is the largest private collection in the world open to the public. Have your picture taken atop a big wheel bicycle, a fun stop for young and old alike.
Buckland Historical Museum
Buckland Community Center
306 N Main
Buckland, OH 45819

Phone: 419-657-6569
Cridersville Historical Museum
111 W Sugar St.
Cridersville, OH 45806

Phone: 419-645-5374
The 1890 church depicts the history of the town and the surrounding area. The log home was built in 1836 by Daniel Bousher, one of the earliest pioneer families in the Cridersville area. It is furnished to represent the pioneer lifestyle of the 1830s and 1840s.
Fort Recovery State Museum
1 Fortsite St.
Fort Recovery, OH 45846

Phone: 419-375-4649
Fort Recovery is the site of two of the most dramatic Indian battles in American history. Museum features Wayne soldiers, a lifelike warrior, battle descriptions and one of the largest Indian artifact collections on display in Ohio. On the grounds are two reconstructed blockhouses, a connecting stockade and the Greenville Treaty Line marker. A 103’ monument stands to remember the 900+ soldiers that died here and an oak tree to remember the Native Americans. Other attractions are a log home, blacksmith shop, historical walkway, local walk-by museum and a state park.
Langsdon Mineral Collection
The Mercer County District Library
303 N Main St.
Celina, OH 45822

Phone: 419-586-4442
Rock hounds take note of this fabulous gem and mineral collection on display to the public. The Mercer County District Library in Celina exhibits the collection consisting of 661 samples from all over the world. The specimens are housed in 12 custom built cabinets located in the center of the library. The collection was donated to the library by Ron and Ruth Langsdon on the basis that it be continually displayed to the public. Each sample is labeled with the mineral type and place of origin. Examples of minerals displayed are: apophyllite, stibnite, pyrite, galena, and purple amethyst. Displayed in brightly lit cases, the minerals sparkle and gleam with a life of their own. The library offers classes and group tours by prior arrangement with Professor Ken Strickland who is the curator of the collection. The library is open six days a week with a variation in hours from summer to winter. Call ahead for library hours of service or to request a program or tour.
Lockkeepers House Visitors Center
Lock One Park
Corner of SR-66 & SR-274
New Bremen, OH 45869

Phone: 419-629-0313
Stop by the Lockkeepers House Visitors Center to learn about the history of this waterway. Built as a replica of the Lockkeepers House that stood on the site for nearly 100 years, the Visitors Center is a great place to begin your visit to the canal. The visitors center features displays, photos and other information about the canal, its construction and the impact it had on the development of western Ohio. It is located adjacent to Lock One Park in downtown New Bremen. It is handicap accessible with public restrooms and is open weekdays from 9 - 11 a.m. and 1 - 5 p.m.

Traversing 249 miles from Cincinnati to Toledo, Irish and German immigrants labored from 1825 to 1845 to complete the canal, which improved transportation and commerce for the western portion of the state. Much of the canal in this area is intact with many historic structures, bridges and aqueducts along the way. The towpath along SR-66 from Minster to Lock 14 north of St. Marys is a great place to walk and enjoy nature’s beauty. Designated a state Scenic Byway.
Maria Stein Heritage Museum
2291 St. Johns Rd.
Maria Stein, OH 45860

Phone: 419-925-4532
This museum, housed in a convent building of the early 1900’s, holds treasures from the area’s past, as well as of convent life. Featuring information and artifacts on the settlement of the area as well as the religious orders who served the early settlers, the museum is located in the upper floor of the National Marion Shrine of the Holy Relics.
Mercer County Historical Museum
130 E Market
PO Box 512
Celina, OH 45822

Phone: 419-678-2614
Email: histalig@bright.net
This museum chronicles the past 200 years of Mercer County area life. Also known as the Riley House, the museum contains genealogical materials and many books of local history. Open Houses with Special Exhibits are held throughout the year, e.g. Prehistoric Artifacts; Antique Guns; Post Cards; Sports Hall of Fame, etc.

Over two dozen Western Ohio and Mercer County Local History Books have been printed by the Historical Society. A weekly newspaper column is written by Joyce Alig, President, who has the best Archival Collection of Mercer County History in existence.
Minster Historical Museum
112 W Fourth St.,
Minster, OH 45865

Phone: 419-628-4600
The Minster Historical Society maintains a museum of local artifacts and the members are active in promoting and preserving Minster's heritage.
New Bremen Historical Museum
120 N Main St.
PO Box 73
New Bremen, OH 45869-0073

Phone: 419-629-8902
In the early days of the Miami and Erie Canal in New Bremen, what was later referred to as the “Thompson House” was the lockkeeper’s house and New Bremen’s major overnight lodging establishment. It was the job of the lockkeeper to keep canal boat traffic moving through the lock. The original lockkeeper’s house stood on the west bank of lock one until April 1968 when it was destroyed in a practice session for the New Bremen and other area Fire Departments. The foundation of the house was uncovered during the renovation of Lock One in 2006. The Village of New Bremen, MECCA, Chamber of Commerce and the New Bremen Historic Association combined efforts to reconstruct a Lockkeeper’s House on the same site as the old one.
New Knoxville Historical Museum
107 E German St.
New Knoxville, OH 45871

Phone: 419-753-2721
A lovely 19th century home is the site of the New Knoxville Historical Society's extensive collection of artifacts and photographs. This museum maintains and displays items of historic information and interest pertaining to the lives and accomplishments of the German ancestry of New Knoxville and surrounding rural area.
Shanes Crossing Historical Museum
151 E Columbia St.
Rockford, Oh 45882

Phone: 419-363-2998
The Shanes Crossing Historical Society was formed in 1995 to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the town of Shanesville. Anthony Shane plotted the town on part of his Land Grant, on the north side of the St. Marys River. The town was later called Shanes Crossing and in 1890 the Post Office changed the name to Rockford. In the fall of 2005, the society was able to obtain the former Rockford Lumber Company store and have remodeled it. The town has moved their offices into part of it. The main showroom is now the SCHS museum and over the past few months, the members have collected and placed town historical items on display.
Uniopolis Historical Museum
75 E Ohio St.
Uniopolis, OH 45888

Phone: 419-568-5586
The museum, constructed in 1875 as a United Brethren Church, had been the Town Hall since 1900. The Uniopolis Historical Society is the most recently organized in the county. This is a "museum in the making." It will soon house the growing collection of of the society preserving the history of the area.