Call Us: 419-394-1294 or Toll Free: 800-860-GRAND
Play More, Stress Less!

Land of the Cross Tipped Churches

church-s1
church-s2
church-s3
church-s4
church-s5
chjurch-s6
church-s7
The Land Of The Cross-Tipped Churches
Call 800-860-4726 for group tours.
This scenic byway consists of sixty buildings representing the German Catholic settlements of southern Auglaize and Mercer Counties, as well as portions of northern Drake and Shelby Counties, which were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Consisting of churches, schools, rectories and convents, this grouping is symbolic of the cultural and historical uniqueness of the region. Today, these structures remind us of the hard work and dedication of these early settlers as they built the Miami-Erie Canal and forged a new life on the area’s rich and productive farmland. Trips through the rural countryside follow the quaint churches with their cross tipped “spires to heaven” and include stops at the focal points of the region: the former convent at Maria Stein; St. Augustine Church – the original Mother Church of the area at Minster and St. Charles center, the magnificent and impressive former seminary at Carthagena.

Did you know that at 202 feet the St. Henry Church Steeple is the tallest in the Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches?


 Click here to see map, pictures, and wonderful
descriptions of the Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches
KEY: Location number Church Name (Date Built) Address
1.Botkins Elementary School and Immaculate Conception Rectory (1865)
116 N. Mill St., Botkins, OH
18.St. John the Baptist Church and Rectory (1889)
8533 State Route 119, Maria Stein
2.Gruenwald Convent (PRIVATE RESIDENCE)
Cassella-Montezuma Rd.
19.St. Joseph Church and Rectory (1887)
State Route 364, Egypt
3.Holy Family Church (1866)
14 E. Wood St., Frenchtown
20.St. Joseph Church and Rectory (1866)
1689 St. Joseph Rd., St. Joseph
4.Holy Trinity Church and Rectory (1899)
116 E. Main St., Coldwater
21.St. Joseph Church and School (1911)
101 W. Pearl St., Wapakoneta
5.Immaculate Conception Church Complex (1903)
229 W. Anthony St., Celina
22.St. Louis Church and Rectory (1914)
15 Star Rd., North Star
6.National Marian Shrine of the Holy Relics (1892) and former convent (1900)
2291 St. Johns Rd., Maria Stein
23.St. Mary Church and Rectory (1871)
3821 Philothea Rd., Philothea
7.Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church and Rectory (1858)
6524 State Route 119, Cassella
24.St. Michael Church Complex (1881)
33 Elm St., Ft. Loramie
8.Precious Blood School and Rectory (1903)
35 S. Maple St., Chickasaw
25.St. Nicholas Church and Rectory (1908)
128 Church St., Osgood
9.Sacred Heart of Jesus Rectory (1882)
9333 State Route 119, McCartyville
26. St. Patrick Church (1884)
Glynwood Rd., Glynwood
10.St. Aloysius Church (1877)
State Route 274, Carthagena
27.St. Patrick Church and Rectory (1915) - CLOSED
Hoying and Wright-Puthoff Rds., St. Patrick
11.St. Anthony Church (1869)
471 St. Anthony Rd., St. Anthony
28.St. Paul Church and Rectory (1888)
Sharpsburg Rd., Sharpsburg
12.St. Augustine Church (1849)
48 N. Hanover, Minster
29.St. Peter Church and Rectory (1904)
1477 Philothea Rd., St. Peter
13.St. Bernard Church and Rectory (1924)
75 W. Main St., Burkettsville
30.St. Remy Church (1946)
108 E. Main St., Russia
14.St. Charles Seminary and Chapel (1906)
U.S. Route 127, Carthagena
31.St. Rose Church Complex (1911)
7428 State Route 119, St. Rose
15.St. Francis Church and Rectory (1906)
1509 Cranberry Rd., Cranberry Prairie
32.St. Sebastian Church and rectory (1903)
3280 County Rd 716A, St. Sebastion
16.St. Henry Church (1897)
272 E. Main St., St. Henry
33.St. Wendelin Church Complex (1870)
2980 Ft. Recovery-Minster Rd., Wendelin
17.St. John Church and Parish Hall (1850)
Schemel and Van Buren Sts., Fryburg
34.Trinity Church Complex (1885)
State Route 67, Trinity, IN
The Land Of The Cross-Tipped Churches
Call 800-860-4726 for group tours.
This scenic byway consists of sixty buildings representing the German Catholic settlements of southern Auglaize and Mercer Counties, as well as portions of northern Drake and Shelby Counties, which were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Consisting of churches, schools, rectories and convents, this grouping is symbolic of the cultural and historical uniqueness of the region. Today, these structures remind us of the hard work and dedication of these early settlers as they built the Miami-Erie Canal and forged a new life on the area’s rich and productive farmland. Trips through the rural countryside follow the quaint churches with their cross tipped “spires to heaven” and include stops at the focal points of the region: the former convent at Maria Stein; St. Augustine Church – the original Mother Church of the area at Minster and St. Charles center, the magnificent and impressive former seminary at Carthagena.

Did you know that at 202 feet the St. Henry Church Steeple is the tallest in the Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches?

KEY: Location number Church Name (Date Built) Address
1.Botkins Elementary School and Immaculate Conception Rectory (1865)
116 N. Mill St., Botkins, OH
2.Gruenwald Convent (PRIVATE RESIDENCE)
Cassella-Montezuma Rd.
3.Holy Family Church (1866)
14 E. Wood St., Frenchtown
4.Holy Trinity Church and Rectory (1899)
116 E. Main St., Coldwater
5.Immaculate Conception Church Complex (1903)
229 W. Anthony St., Celina
6.National Marian Shrine of the Holy Relics (1892) and former convent (1900)
2291 St. Johns Rd., Maria Stein
7.Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church and Rectory (1858)
6524 State Route 119, Cassella
8.Precious Blood School and Rectory (1903)
35 S. Maple St., Chickasaw
9.Sacred Heart of Jesus Rectory (1882)
9333 State Route 119, McCartyville
10.St. Aloysius Church (1877)
State Route 274, Carthagena
11.St. Anthony Church (1869)
471 St. Anthony Rd., St. Anthony
12.St. Augustine Church (1849)
48 N. Hanover, Minster
13.St. Bernard Church and Rectory (1924)
75 W. Main St., Burkettsville
14.St. Charles Seminary and Chapel (1906)
U.S. Route 127, Carthagena
15.St. Francis Church and Rectory (1906)
1509 Cranberry Rd., Cranberry Prairie
16.St. Henry Church (1897)
272 E. Main St., St. Henry
17.St. John Church and Parish Hall (1850)
Schemel and Van Buren Sts., Fryburg
18. St. John the Baptist Church and Rectory (1889)
8533 State Route 119, Maria Stein
19. St. Joseph Church and Rectory (1887)
State Route 364, Egypt
20. St. Joseph Church and Rectory (1866)
1689 St. Joseph Rd., St. Joseph
21. St. Joseph Church and School (1911)
101 W. Pearl St., Wapakoneta
22. St. Louis Church and Rectory (1914)
15 Star Rd., North Star
23. St. Mary Church and Rectory (1871)
3821 Philothea Rd., Philothea
24. St. Michael Church Complex (1881)
33 Elm St., Ft. Loramie
25. St. Nicholas Church and Rectory (1908)
128 Church St., Osgood
26. St. Patrick Church (1884)
Glynwood Rd., Glynwood
27. St. Patrick Church and Rectory (1915) - CLOSED
Hoying and Wright-Puthoff Rds., St. Patrick
28. St. Paul Church and Rectory (1888)
Sharpsburg Rd., Sharpsburg
29. St. Peter Church and Rectory (1904)
1477 Philothea Rd., St. Peter
30. St. Remy Church (1946)
108 E. Main St., Russia
31. St. Rose Church Complex (1911)
7428 State Route 119, St. Rose
32. St. Sebastian Church and rectory (1903)
3280 County Rd 716A, St. Sebastion
33. St. Wendelin Church Complex (1870)
2980 Ft. Recovery-Minster Rd., Wendelin
34. Trinity Church Complex (1885)
State Route 67, Trinity, IN