1 Fortsite St.
Fort Recovery, OH 45846
Toll Free: 800-238-8920Open Weekends in May and September (12:00-5:00), 7 days a week in June, July and August, 12:00-5:00. $3.00 adults, $1.00 ages 7-14. Personal/group tours available with $25 minimum admission.
Did you know that the Fort Recovery State Museum has the largest displayed collection of sandal sole gorgets in the United States? These rare, shell, personal adornments were worn by the Native Americans in the area 3,000 to 10,000 years ago.
Two significant battles in the late 1700’s, on a small triangle of land forever changed the course of this country’s history. The first battle (1791), “The Battle on the Banks of The Wabash” resulted in the greatest loss ever suffered by the United States Army! Nine hundred of this young nation’s 1200 soldiers were killed or mortally wounded at the hands of nearly 1500 warriors under the command of Little Turtle and Blue Jacket. In 1794 “The Battle of Fort Recovery” took place on the same triangle of land. However, with the protection of the fort, nearly 250 soldiers were able to resist a relentless two day attack by 2500 warriors. After the defeat, Little Turtle said he would never again fight the American Army. It was this battle that ultimately led to the signing of the Treaty of Greenville and opened up the lands of the Northwest Territory for settlement by the colonists. The success of the US Legion at Fort Recovery proved that the United States had a viable army, which was in control of its territories insuring the survival of this new nation.
Visitors to present day Fort Recovery see that history come alive through the reconstructed fort with the two-story blockhouses and connecting stockade along with two log cabins depicting early colonial homes and tools. The adjacent museum houses accurately detailed figures of Wayne’s Legion. Also of interest are the Native American history, models and artifacts, all of which tell the stories of those proud people. Fort Recovery Monument Park features an obelisk monument that stands over 100 feet high in honor of the soldiers who died in both battles, and whose remains are buried under that monument.
This partial reconstruction of the Fort of Recovery features two 20 ft. x 20 ft. two-story blockhouses
with connecting stockades. Inside the fort area is located the corner marker of the Greenville Treaty
Line, which was established by the 1795 Greenville Treaty.
In 1908, President William Howard Taft signed a bill for the construction of the Fort Recovery Monument to recognize the significance of the military events that occurred there, and to give a final resting place to all soldiers who died in the battles. The obelisk memorial and burial crypt underneath were built in 1912 and dedicated on July 1, 1913.
On floors one and two, with completely new exhibits, Fort Recovery State Museum houses one of the finest military museums in the country. On the third floor is the largest prehistoric artifact collection on display in Ohio.
This bucolic walkway links Fort Site Park to the Fort Recovery State Museum. Signs lining the walk detail the early history of the village as well as the two greatest Indian battles ever to take place in the United States, battles that occurred on this very ground.
See two restored log cabins, one depicting home life in the early 1800’s, the other containing many old farm and hand tools. Descriptions of contents make the sites interesting and educational.
See also: Indian Memorial Park; Pioneer Cemetery; Wabash River Source; Fort Recovery Community Museum